You just bought a new house… Congratulations! While you start planning your move, you realize that you will need to make accommodations for your pet that will be moving with you. Moving with pets can be stressful, but with some careful planning and preparation, you can make the process smoother and less traumatic for both you and your furry friends. Here are some tips for moving with pets:
- Prepare your pet for the move: Start preparing your pet for the move as early as possible. If your pet is not used to being in a crate, introduce them to it gradually so that they feel comfortable and safe in it. You can also take your pet on short car rides to get them used to being in a car.
- Make sure your pet is up-to-date on vaccinations. Give your vet a call and obtain any necessary health certificates or permits required for the move.
- Choose a pet-friendly moving company! Ask for references for a company that frequently moves pets and check their credentials.
- Prepare a pet travel kit. You will need a kit that includes your pet's food, water, medication, toys, and any other items your pet may need during the move. Keep this kit close by, so that you have easy access to it.
- During transport, make sure your pet is secure and comfortable. Use a crate or carrier, and make sure it is well-ventilated and large enough for your pet to stand up, turn around, and lie down comfortably.
- Stick to your pet's routine as much as possible during the move. This will help your pet feel more comfortable and less anxious. Make sure to feed your pet at the same time, take them for walks at the same time, and give them plenty of attention and affection.
- Once you arrive at your new home, introduce your pet to their new surroundings gradually. Start with one room and gradually let them explore more areas of the house.
Moving with pets can be challenging, but with some careful planning and preparation, you can help make the process less stressful for both you and your furry friend.